Monday 24 August 2015

Hidden beauty of Meghalaya-Shillong

It was early at 7.45 am when I landed from Delhi to Assam Airport.The flight was comfortable, yet another journey was waiting for me.This was a 3 hour by road journey from Guwahati to Shillong.Accompanied by my parents, I was also little sleepy as we were up at mid-night at 3am to board the Flight at 5. Stopping in between for some Tea & snacks while our onward journey to Shillong by the taxi. Finally, we reached to our destination,Shillong.

Astonished with the view around,beautiful lush green trees,winds were so pure & fresh as I could inhale some freshness,making my fatigue flew away.Welcoming me to a place with "Umium lake",the sun was up,adding the rays to this beautiful lake.I could see those thousands of red-orange shades in the sky,making the water of this lake "Divine" spread over in some acres.Witnessing some tiny boats though far away from us.Crossing the zigzag narrow roads, with trees on the sides, here comes our hotel,after crossing this yet another picturesque Ward's lake.This is at a stone throw distance from "Blueberry Inn" where we stayed.



After the journey, entering this Hotel was a perhaps,a blessing.Rather, quoting it as "an add-on" to our trip to Shillong.We were tired & exhausted.After a warm welcome, we were given a "baronial suit". Well! that's what I felt.Excellent spacious rooms with clean bathrooms.The suite was beyond my expectations, done in dark green & golden. Rather, calling it a class that even too much use of  golden colour never made it look 'jattak'. It was totally outstanding. Once you step out of your rooms..there is this,huge open area full of colorful flowers. The hotel is done up very tastefully by the owner "Mr.Manu" Whopping plants that gives that "extra comfort" to the guests staying as you feel so close to the nature, not even once, you feel the absence of a garden here.A corner with fountains adding that extra dash to it.You can sit back & relax here on the tables & chairs spread to feel the aroma of nature around you.This is no garden yet that extra attention given by the owners here shows what it is. Suddenly, I could listern to those beats of music dissolving in the air around me.It was already late evening when I came back after my dinner from Police Bazaar & sat here to unwind.
Next morning, I did rather chose to have my breakfast here,ignoring the restaurant completely. Although the interiors of the restaurant is also remarkable.The chirping of the birds, trees dancing in the blowing winds,a little glaze of sun made us do so.Well, the food served here was also very homely.The guys on the front desk are quite witty & charming & are always with that positive attitude of welcoming you.Simply loved the Fog & Perhaps, the feeling of walking in the clouds.



After my tummy was full, took a 2 mins walk to this serene ward's lake. Enjoying boating here for some 30 mins. Now, was the time for some local shopping & taking a stroll around the local market" Police Bazaar" which came in, about 5 mins.One can take a shared Taxi for Rs.10 each or a full taxi, depending on your pockets.These taxi's run almost all across Shillong. A walk would have taken some 10 mins but I rather preferred a Taxi, wishing to stroll around the entire bazaar & not getting exhausted before reaching there.Picked up some bamboo stuff, souvenirs,some packets of  Tea(comes from Assam). A very pretty piece of embroidery was a bed sheet,this one was there traditional one which I really liked in purple colour & picked up for myself.

The entire bazaar was quite crowded with this huge crowds & this massive round about, spread in about quater a kilometer,right in the center, plying to all local taxis & buses & the shops around.No,its just not a circle but roads cutting here & there.It was already lunch time, trying some authentic "Khasis & Jaitias Food" was on the top of my wishlist.What an amazing food..The staple food of the people is rice with spicy meat and fish preparations. Relished it completely.Some more walking around, finding about their local delicacies for sweet? It's called a "Polka". This was one mouthwatering thing I eat again & again in my 4 days tour.Quite similar to "panner with added sugar" but so tender that as it enters your mouth, it gets dissolved in your mouth.Whilst walking around, "pan leaves & betel nut" sellers are sitting at every nuk & corner.Out of my inquisitiveness, checked with some locale here, as it is cold here,people keep eating it as it keeps them warm.

 Next day,visiting to various waterfalls at "cherrapunji.' It was raining,with umbrellas in our hands,went to "Elephant Falls',it has 3 levels of water falls.I simply loved it as besides this, really could not have a proper view of the other water falls due to,too much fog.This was the last fall left in my sightseeing list of cherrapunji.Rains made us have good time here as you have to take a flight of stairs,may be some 100 of them.If not rain, then had it been fog here too,making the view invisible.Though,making it little slippery but glad it rained,cherish this place. Would not really recommend senior citizens which leg problems at the last level,encountering these fleet of stairs might make it difficult. Visiting yet another memorable "Mawjymbuin Cave". A man made cave which has a little light, hugh rocks across,walking & watching each step as it gets narrower & narrower as you keep going in. Though about 200 mts long, I could only make it half way, as it became too much claustrophobic for me to handle. Narrowing of the cave, big bunch of crowd ahead & behind me with less of oxygen,insects & flies coming to my face & dim to no lights,somewhere switching the mobile lights made me come back to the entry.It could surely be a great experience for people who love adventure.For me too, it was an offbeat & antithetic experience.




This was my first visit to north east hill station.I came back with a splush full of amazing memories which will always remain with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment